Navazující magisterské studium
NMS – ENTRANCE EXAM – SAMPLE VERSION
I. Choose the best word to complete each gap:
Corporate social responsibility (CSR) is a form of corporate self-regulation 1) _____ into a business model. CSR policy functions as a self-regulatory mechanism whereby a business monitors and ensures its active 2) _____ with the spirit of the law, ethical standards and national or international norms. The aim is to increase long-term profits 3) _____ positive public relations, high ethical standards to reduce business and legal risk, and shareholder 4) _____ by taking responsibility for corporate actions. CSR strategies encourage the company to make a positive 5) _____ on the environment and 6) _____ including consumers, employees, investors, communities, and others.
Proponents argue that corporations increase long-term profits by operating with a CSR perspective, while critics argue that CSR 7) _____ from businesses‘ economic role and that CSR is merely window-dressing, or an 8) _____ to pre-empt the role of governments as a 9) _____ over powerful multinational corporations.
Most consumers agree that while achieving business 10) _____, companies should do CSR at the same time. Most consumers believe companies doing charity will receive a positive 11) _____. A study also found that consumers are loyal and willing to spend more on retailers that 12) _____charity. Consumers also believe that businesses selling local products will 13) _____ loyalty.
The concept of CSR is underpinned by the idea that corporations can no longer act as 14) _____ economic entities operating in detachment from broader society. Traditional 15) _____ about competitiveness, survival and profitability are being swept away.
II. Choose the best option:
- In the current slump, unemployment is … dangerously.
- Only 6% of executive positions are … by women.
- It was unbelievably cheap — a real … .
- They see meetings as a/n … to share ideas.
- The … between rich and poor is widening.
- What can we do to … this goal?
- I hope they don´t expect us to … the costs.
- We can´t really … on information from this source.
- Could you please … the date and time of our meeting by e-mail?
- Agricultural products are heavily … in the EU.
- Even market leaders are forced to reduce their prices in such a cut-… competition.
- The vital step is to … your target customer.
- She´ll probably … some retraining when she goes back to work after three years.
- Modern technologies don’t seem to … the cashflow situation.
- It is depressing to see our market … decreasing rapidly in so many areas.
III. Choose the terms corresponding to the following definitions:
- A financial statement summarising what a firm owns and what it owes at a given point in time:
- gain-and-loss statement
- balance sheet
- profit-and-loss account
- income statement
- The market in which the currency of one country is exchanged for the currency of another:
- stock exchange market
- commodity market
- real estate market
- foreign exchange market
- bear market
- A severe contraction of the economic activity characterised by unemployment rate higher than 12% for more than one year:
- A system of insurance run by the government, into which workers and employers make regular payments, and which provides money for people who are unemployed, old, etc.:
- maternity pay
- retirement pension
- unemployment benefit
- social insurance
- An economic system where both the government and private sector interact in solving economic problems:
- mixed economy
- command economy
- transition economy
- free market economy
- centrally planned economy
- A part of disposable income that is not spent on current consumption:
- sunk cost
- fixed cost
- Items that will last for more than three years with normal usage:
- intermediate goods
- semi-finished goods
- non-durable goods
- durable goods
- perishable goods
- A sum of money that the government takes from people’s incomes, company profits, the sale of goods, etc.:
- Expenses which do not vary with the volume of goods produced:
- opportunity cost
- marginal cost
- fixed costs
- sunk cost
- average cost
- The fact that the losses of owners of the business are limited to the value of their investment:
- private ownership
- public corporation
- legal tender
- unlimited liability
- limited liability